Investigator Roland Oliver Lackey


On October 27, 1993 Investigator Roland Lackey died in the line of duty after suffering a massive fatal heart attack following an intense search for a missing 5 year old child. Investigator Lackey is memorialized on both the Colorado and National LE Memorials.

The memorial in the 1993 Annual Report lists Inv. Lackey's youth spent in Lima, Peru where he became fluent in Spanish and his service in the US Air Force before becoming a law enforcement officer with Denver PD (1971-1973), Commerce City PD (1973-1979) and finally ACSO in 1980. The report lists his past accomplishments as a Patrol Deputy, Motorcycle Unit Deputy, FTO and Hostage Negotiator on his career path to becoming and Investigator.

On August 2, 1993 Inv. Lackey was assigned as the lead investigator on the Lori Ann Lowe murder, one of the violent crimes of Denver's legendary "summer of violence". The case received national attention. Inv. Lackey vowed to her family that he would solve the case if it were the last thing he ever did. He did, and it nearly was. Within a few months, Inv. Lackey suffered his fatal heart attack in the Investigations offices of the old ACSO HQ on Littleton Blvd. Several fellow investigators came to his aid and attempted CPR, but to no avail.

Inv. Lackey was survived by his wife Robin and his four children Nathan, Laura, Matt (who is now a Denver Police Officer) and Thane, other relatives and so many friends.

Undersheriff Benjamin Lee Goorman


On June 19, 1945 Undersheriff Ben Goorman and Englewood Police Chief Jess Briddle had arrested a theft suspect and previously convicted felon, Wayne Simpson. He was taken to the Sheriff’s Office building in Littleton and questioned, and agreed to allow the two officers to search the basement room he rented at 325 W. Alamo St. in Littleton. Once they were in his room, Simpson chatted with the two officers for an hour while they searched his room. He eventually began rummaging through two suitcases that had been sitting on his bed. Simpson suddenly pulled out a .38 revolver and stated “This gun is loaded and I am going to kill you both.” Simpson pointed the gun at Goorman, who reached for his blackjack in his hip pocket and charged at Simpson. Simpson fired the pistol, striking Goorman in the right side and causing him to fall to the ground. Simpson then fired once at Chief Briddle and missed, as Briddle shot Simpson three times, staggering him. Chief Briddle then dragged Goorman outside when he heard a gunshot from Simpson’s room. He reentered and found Simpson dead of a self-inflicted gunshot to the head. Undersheriff Goorman died of his wound at Porter Sanatorium the following day, June 20, 1945. He was 29 years old.

At his funeral, on June 23, 1945, Englewood Police and Firefighters served as the pallbearers. He is buried at Fairmount Cemetery in Denver, Block 47.

Before being appointed as Undersheriff by Sheriff Charles Foster, Goorman had been an Englewood Police Patrolman for 2 years. He was survived by his wife Shirley and three children; Charles, Jane Kay and Connie, as well as his parents and several siblings, including his brother George who only a week before, had returned home from World War II service in Italy and Africa.

Deputy Gabriel B. Hollingsworth Jr.


On December 7, 1887, 22 year old Deputy Sheriff Gabe Hollingsworth was sworn in by his brother, Arapahoe County Undersheriff Frank Hollingsworth to help pursue a wanted and dangerous jail escapee named Newt Vorce, known as the “Deer Trail Desperado” and the “Terror of Deer Trail” who had shot and wounded another deputy, Amos Cantley that day near Deer Trail Colorado.

Vorce was a well-known local outlaw and a Confederate Army veteran. He had escaped from the Arapahoe County Jail in May of 1887, where he was serving a sentence for horse stealing and assault. For six months he was reported to be terrorizing the residents near the towns of Deer Trail, Byers and Agate. On December 7, 1887 Vorce was confronted in the town of Deer Trail and in an exchange of gunfire wounded Deputy Amos Cantley in the arm. Other deputies arrived by train from Denver led by Undersheriff Frank Hollingsworth and Deputy John Chivington (of Sand Creek Massacre infamy), but Vorce escaped. Most of the deputies returned to Denver, but Frank Hollingsworth, his brother Gabe and several other men continued the pursuit.

On December 10, 1887, Vorce was tracked north to a dugout on the Lyman H. Cole Ranch, a sprawling cattle ranch in today’s Morgan County. The dugout was surrounded as darkness fell. When confronted, Frank Hollingsworth and Vorce fired at each other but neither man was hit. Moments later, 2 shots rang out from the north side of the dugout where Gabe Hollingsworth was hit by two rifle rounds to the chest and died on the spot. Frank retrieved his brother’s body and headed back to Deer Trail to wire for more men and then to take Gabe’s body to Denver. Sheriff Fred Cramer again sent reinforcements, this time led by Chivington, but when they arrived they found Vorce had again escaped. After trailing him for another week, on December 18, 1887 Vorce was tracked down to the Robinson sheep ranch a few miles west of Deer Trail, and was again surrounded in a dugout. After a threat to use dynamite resulted in Vorce firing at deputies, a fire was set next to the dugout. After an hour, Vorce surrendered and was arrested by Chivington. On April 25, 1888, Vorce was convicted of second degree murder and sentenced to 14 years in prison for killing Deputy Gabriel B. Hollingsworth.

Gabe had no wife or children. His brother Frank sent his body by train back to the Hollingsworth family in Browning (Schuyler County), Illinois. Descendants of Gabe’s siblings still reside in Colorado and Illinois.